Sunday, October 13, 2013

Free2Work App....(And shame on Lululemon, Abercrombie & Fitch, DC and Kindle)

Have you heard the buzz lately getting louder and louder concerning the child labor in other countries, and the importance to be socially responsible (and become more aware of what other people may go through so that we can walk into a store and pick a pair of shoes, pants or a sweater off a rack and take it home)?  

Lately I've really been trying to be a more conscious consumer and buy USA made items, from decor in my home to clothing in the store, I am now really paying attention.  
I just discovered a great FREE app called Free2Work that allows you to scan bar codes and look up products to learn how they relate to trafficking and other labor abuses.  Free2Work provides consumers like us with information on forced and child labor for the brands and products we buy and love.  

HOW IT WORKS:
Free2Work grades companies on a scale of "A" to "F" based on their efforts to prevent and to address forced and child labor.  It is categorized into different industries, like Apparel, Chocolate, Electronics, Jewelry, Toys and Sports Equipment.   Below, you can see that one of the more popular brands, "Lululemon," does NOT fall into a very attractive category, (making me secretly feel happy that I no longer need to feel compelled to throw $115 at a jacket that most likely cost less than $5 to manufacture using horrendous conditions somewhere in a third-world country that exploits children
to make money)....  


 The same logic applies to the faves of my 'tweens, and this mama will no longer be purchasing clothing from any store that is supporting child trafficking AND assaults my senses with overly loud music, obscene amounts of toxic-smelling cologne wafting through the vents and overly-perky sales associates who appear as if I am interrupting them when I ask to have my kids let into a dressing room to try something on....no mas.  For realz.
                           
I am NOT surprised to see Walmart on the list....is anyone else?  They have long been slowly poisoning us with their store brands full of toxic chemicals, cheap and harmful fillers and carcinogens. No surprise to find their clothing is also disgracefully made... Frankly, I'm a little shocked that they didn't receive an "F."

I encourage you to download this app for FREE and take it along with you.  If something doesn't come up, it will usually identify it and the information is recorded and sent to be reviewed and possibly added.

I received an education about many other industries I was unaware of, like "Jewelery"and "Electronics"  for example.  Look at the intro information they provide:
 

 Suddenly....I am not that excited to use my Kindle.  I know Apple isn't on this, so perhaps an iPad Mini is a better option....
                                        This education about Jewelery sure woke me up....

 

 ....and I appreciate the links to even MORE information if you want it.  Clearly a lot of work went into this app.
 
Let me just say, "Shame on you Disney," a company FOR kids that EXPLOITS them.  Disgraceful.  If anyone should get an "A" it's Disney.

You may be wondering who actually scored high grades? 
Well in the grand scheme of things, I think I'll be walking through the doors of the Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy/Piperlime conglomerate a lot more, and also good old affordable H & M.  
To find the "A's" you're just going to have to go download this for yourself!  You'll be glad you did.


~Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment