Wednesday, September 11, 2013

WARNING for Parents, Hazardous Household Look-Alikes Poisoning Children

 Every so often, I run across things that all parents need to know.  This is definitely one of those things....

NCPC Header
Oops. Look again. Is that a sports drink? Flavored water? Juice? Or an all-purpose cleaner, not meant for drinking? 
“Fabuloso” is the latest household cleaning product being mistaken for a beverage. The liquid cleaner is purple, blue, yellow, or orange. Packaged in round quart-sized bottles with colored caps, it resembles a number of beverages in similar colors and packaging. 
What will happen if you drink “Fabuloso”? A swig could cause a bad taste in the mouth, a slightly sore throat, and maybe a bit of nausea. Drinking large amounts causes vomiting and diarrhea.
If you mistakenly swallow a cleaning product, drink a small amount of water and call the poison center at 1-800-222-1222. The experts there will tell you what to do next.
To avoid the problem altogether, be sure to:
  • Read the labels on foods, drinks, and medicines before eating or drinking.
  • Store cleaning products apart from food, drinks, and medicines.
  • When possible, purchase cleaning products with child-resistant closures.
  • Be alert to product "look-alikes".
“Fabuloso” and cleaners like it are not required to be in child-resistant packaging, because they’re not expected to be dangerous. A child-resistant cap, though, is a clue that the product should not be swallowed. (According to Consumer Reports magazine, Colgate-Palmolive said it will begin putting child-resistant closures on “Fabuloso” by the end of this year.)
Copyright 2010, The National Capital Poison Center.  All Rights Reserved.~Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment