Some weekends, trying to please the entire household with breakfast is just not gonna happen. I've found an easy adaptable morning muffin recipe that everyone agrees on. Finally. And the bonus is, they're (relatively) healthy. Depending on what you add in. Give them a try, they're pretty darn delicious!
Adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook
Makes 12 small muffins
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup milk
¾ tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
3-4 cups total of any of the following, or a combination:
- chopped ripe banana
- blueberries, raspberries or blackberries (or other small berries)
- chopped strawberries or other chopped, soft fruit
- chopped apples, pears or other hard fruits, cooked, covered, in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high to soften a bit
- dried fruits, chopped if large, softened by soaking in very hot water for 10 minutes and then drained (limit to about 1 cup)
- chopped nuts (limit to about 1 cup)
- shredded cheese
- cooked, crumbled bacon or sausage
- chocolate chips
Spray a standard 12-muffin pan with baking spray OR lightly oil the cups.
In a small microwave-safe bowl, warm the butter in the microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes on medium power until just melted. (Seriously, don’t use high power unless you like licking butter off the microwave door.) Alternatively, you can melt the butter over low heat in a small pot on the stove.
Add the egg, yolk, milk and vanilla to the bowl with the melted butter and whisk thoroughly to combine.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
Gently fold in the fruit, nuts or other additions.
Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing muffins from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Try whole wheat with banana (above right) or folding in fresh berries (above left) .
And let me know what your family's favorite is!